Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How To Decorate Without Debt, Part 3: Theme, Use, and Feel

There are several things to think about before you start pulling together the things you’ll eventually want for your room. I like to do this by asking myself some questions, brainstorming, and journaling my thoughts about it. I find it’s remarkably helpful to either spill your thoughts on paper or out loud to a friend. When you have to explain things, they become ever clearer in your own mind. So, here are some questions and how I might answer them to spark some ideas. I suggest using these questions to do some brainstorming of your own. I will repeat all the questions at the end to make them easier to use.

What attracted me to buy/rent this particular house/apartment/trailer in the first place other then price?

[Honestly the first things that attracted me were on the outside of the house. I was amazed by the size of the yard, the covered patio that I dreamed of sitting under to watch the kids play, and the possibility of a huge garden one day. The things I noticed and loved on the inside were the Texas Sandstone walls that appear in all the public areas of the house. This house was truly built to entertain and that attracted me. The huge kitchen has tons of space for food bars, cabinets galore and an adjoining dining room. I love that the dining and living room have enormous sliding glass doors so that parties of people can easily flow from inside to out without feeling crowded. I loved that the dining room and living room were in the same space because I love it when eating and conversation flow easily from one activity to another. I love that there’s a huge study in the front of the house with enormous windows to let in plenty of light. It could be my school room! The kids first noticed the “secret” passageway that ran from the master bedroom through the laundry and to the green bathroom. I also loved loved loved the built-ins and the charm of the late 50s shining through.]

What room or space in my house, if it were to be decorated, would make me feel a whole lot better about living here? And why?

[My living room/dining room combination. I want to invite people over, but the dingy-ness of the walls and the stains all over the carpet make me feel like we don’t care about how it looks. I don’t want to invite people over and them feel sorry for me. I want them to feel comfortable, not sympathetic. I also don’t like that I have these enormous glass doors and no easy access to them. I would really like to sit in my living room with the baby and still see the kids playing outside.]

The FEEL I want:


In my lifetime, whose houses have I been in that have made me feel the way I want others to feel when they come in my house?

[When I was younger, I was in the home of a Mennonite woman my mother was good friends with. Her home was so clear of clutter it boggled my mind. There wasn’t even a t.v. and the toys were minimal. There was tons of floor space to play on and it was sparkly clean. My Granny’s home was much the same—minimal clutter, sparkly clean, smelled lovely, and had lots of home-made touches.]

How did these homes make you feel?

[At home instantly. My mind seemed to quiet and my heart seemed to settle. The rush and stress of life flew away and I felt settled.]

In my lifetime, whose houses have I been in that have made me feel the opposite of what I want others to feel when they come in my house?

[Violet’s house. (name changed) I seriously want to visit with her, but not at her house. I always feel like I can’t find anywhere to sit and that when I’m glancing around I feel like I am accidentally peeking in her closets. I’m also distracted easily, so I keep looking around at things instead of paying attention to the conversation. It’s stressful and unrestful. Sadly, I think others might feel that way in my home if they were to drop by unannounced. I don’t like that.]

Describe how I want my own space to feel:

[Restful, Uncluttered, Open, Clean and Tidy, At Home, Quiet, Settled, Stress-Free]

The USE of the room:


What is my room/space used for now?

[Watching t.v. and movies, eating, lounging, resting and napping, reading, blogging, playing family games, kids horse-play with Daddy, changing diapers, visiting with family and friends]

What do you want to keep the same?

[t.v. and dvds, lounging and resting, napping, reading, blogging, kids horse-play with Daddy, changing diapers, and visiting]

What do you want to change?

[I want eating to be restricted to the table for people under 16 years old, I want to play games mainly in the school room but it’s okay sometimes in here, too. So, not much different except for restricted eating.]

The Theme of Your Room:


If you could have a long-term vacation spot with no financial or time-in-history barrier, where would it be? (examples: Paris, Mountain cabin, Cottage in England, Island of my own, etc)

[If it were to be short term, I might pick Paris, but for a long-term, always go back to it place, I would go for a Mountain cabin far away from noise and business or a Cottage like on the movie Holiday. Or I might even chose to get on a time-machine and go back to the West and vacation in one of those rich cowboy homes like the one on Snowy River. I also like the cabin they live in on Return to Snowy River.]

If you were to get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be born in to a different time and place, where or what culture would it be?

o   Wealthy Victorian home

o   Ancient China

o   Modern New York

o   Old West

o   The 50s

o   Old Paris

o   A Castle in England

o   __________________________

o   __________________________



[Mine would either be in the 50s, minus the prejudice that existed then. I just love the style. Think MadMen with a little better lighting. Or, I would love the simplicity of the Old West as long as I could carry my favorite modern technology and hide it away behind closed doors.]

Is there anything about your home or furniture you plan to keep that would work well with one of your favorite themes? (ie. brick wall, teal cabinets, Victorian couch, etc. )

[My brick wall would work well with Western. My couches are more traditional, but I really would like to replace them since they were damaged in the hurricane and the seats are not comfortable. Also, I have several paintings that are of the desert that I’m in love with and want them hung somewhere in my home.]


 Is there anything about your home that calls for something secondary to your first choices?

[Not in this room.]



To sum up, what does your room need to look/feel like?

[Uncluttered and orderly, spot-less clean, very minimal stuff, Western with modern comfort, calm, warm, open, well-lighted and minimal technology.]



Questions to help you brainstorm:


What attracted me to buy/rent this particular house/apartment/trailer in the first place other then price?

What room or space in my house, if it were to be decorated, would make me feel a whole lot better about living here? And why?

The FEEL I want:


In my lifetime, whose houses have I been in that have made me feel the way I want others to feel when they come in my house?

How did these homes make you feel?

In my lifetime, whose houses have I been in that have made me feel the opposite of what I want others to feel when they come in my house?

Describe how I want my own space to feel:

The USE of the room:


What is my room/space used for now?

What do you want to keep the same?

What do you want to change?

The Theme of Your Room:


If you could have a long-term vacation spot with no financial or time-in-history barrier, where would it be? (examples: Paris, Mountain cabin, Cottage in England, Island of my own, etc)

If you were to get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be born in to a different time and place, where or what culture would it be?

o   Wealthy Victorian home

o   Ancient China

o   Modern New York

o   Old West

o   The 50s

o   Old Paris

o   A Castle in England

o   __________________________

o   __________________________

Is there anything about your home or furniture you plan to keep that would work well with one of your favorite themes? (ie. brick wall, teal cabinets, Victorian couch, etc. )

Is there anything about your home that calls for something secondary to your first choices?

To sum up, what does your room need to look/feel like?



 Did you miss a post in this series?

So, what questions would you add to this list? The more the merrier.


 

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic list to think and ponder about! I agree when you know where you are going... it's easier to get there!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Are there any you would add? These are just what I usually think about.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They inspire me to keep writing and I read every one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...